Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins Company, 1959. Second Edition. Octavo, original grey cloth lettered and ruled in red on spine panel. 206 pp. From the library of Dr. Charles Muses, author of esoteric works and founder of the Jacob Boehme society, inscribed to him by co-author Erickson on the front free endpaper: "To Charles A. Muses, Ph.D., With my very best regards, Milton H. Erickson, Dec 29, 1966". Dr. Muses has made some notes in ink on the inner rear endpaper. Laid into this copy are quite a lot of papers pertaining to the book, described below. A very good copy in a slightly worn dust jacket.
Laid in are the following items:
- A polaroid snapshot of Erickson sitting at a desk, with this copy of the book laid on the desk, taken presumably on Dec 29, 1966.
-Typed Letter Signed (Carbon Copy) from Muses to Erickson. November 7, 1966, return address Lausanne, Switzerland. Muses writes praising Erickson's work and this book in particular; states "I feel that you are perhaps uniquely competent to train me for a scientific investigation requiring such professional aid...", and offeres to visit him in Phoenix, Arizona just after Christmas. Signed in full (ink signature) by Muses, also a small mathematic equation by Muses in ink.
-Typed Letter Signed, Milton Erickson to Muses, November 14, 1966, return address Phoenix, Arizona. "It will be a great pleasure to see you in January and to discuss with you the research you are planning..." Signed in full by Erickson. Original mailing envelope stapled to letter.
- Typed Letter Signed (Carbon Copy) from Muses to Erickson. November 22, 1966, return address Lausanne, Switzerland. Signed in ink by Muses, with several corrections / additions in ink. "This is to confirm that i will telephone you after I reach New Mexico, probably about December 27th".
- CTyped Letter Signed (Carbon Copy) from Muses to Erickson. January 11, 1967, return address Phoenix, Arizona. "Dear Dr. Erickson, Thank you for the loan of the papers, herewith enclosed.... I have received a much shorter deadline for the abstract of my next book to be at the publisher than I expected... In this book i shall cite several of your experimental and research results which are so unique in the field..." Not signed, but this bears Muses stamp from his Centre de Recherches en Mathematiques et Morphologie, Lausanne.
- Typed Letter Signed, Robert Ardrey to Muses, 11 December 1966, return address Rome. Discusses Marais and the hypnotic condition". Signed in pencil by Ardrey. Small note in ink in Muses hand "replied with Xmas greetings Dec 16, 1966....". Original mailing envelope stapled to letter.
- Typed Letter Signed (Carbon Copy) from Muses to Dr. Heinz von Foerster, Champaign, Illinois, July 18, 1966, return address Mdina, Malta. Discusses a therom of his; sales of their book "Aspects of Artificial Intelligence", discusses von Ferster's remarks on Socrates and Plato and life-after-death; Muses then recounts a story told him by a "well-known medical doctor and successful hypnotist" in London who had regressed many people to foetal life and birth, when asked f anyone had ever successfully reverted to pre-foetal stages he is told a story of a woman who was able to get to pre-foetal time, "and always the same thing happened: She would see herself in a nomad encampment, surrounded by what were to her characteristic black tents". Signed by Muses.
- Original Manuscript by Muses, one page, "ON THE SELF" dated July 23, 1966.
-Original Manuscript by Muses "A DREAM, Night of Dec 11, 1966", one sheet covered in Muses notes on both sides, "written Dec 12, 1966". Highly interesting.
- Original Manuscript by muses, one half-sheet, July 1966, Malta. Putting down an important thought on the nature of existence
- Original manuscript by Muses, one small sheet, Notes & thoughts on Edman Irwin's preface to Jowett's translation of Plato, 1928.
- One printed Sheet, Societe Parisienne D'Expansion Chimique, Medical specifications (in French) for the drug Phenergan (Promethazine) (Dimethylamino-2 propyl)-10 phenothiazine. Small note in Muses hand denoting the price. Item #312479
Price: $750.00 save 30% $525.00